Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Counter Narrative

For my counter narrative, I'm planning on presenting the cinderella story without all of the romanticism. I'm planning on making Cinderella much more in charge of her own fate, relying less on the help of others, like her fairy godmother and the princess's attempts to find her. I want Cinderella to present her story in her own words, telling how she made a fate for herself, and didn't just let others handle it for her. I also want to change her family dynamic, not villianizing her sisters and stepmother. Essentially, I want to show Cinderella as a regular girl who took charge and created something special for herself. I think it will be an interesting perspective, to take away all the fluff and frills involved in the Cinderella story. I actually think that young children will identify more with a character who is more like them, and it will make for a much better children's book.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. Young girls especially need to see non-romanticized versions of what it means to be a girl/female in the world. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete